Re: [Harp-L] A Truly Sad Situation!

Vintage amps are priced right about at where they'd be if you accounted for inflation. The prices were low because the older amplifiers were undervalued in the marketplace. So much so that people were painting the tweed and brown amps black so they would be more like the modern blackface Fenders. It's supply and demand, more people appreciate the attributes of older amplifiers so the prices have risen. The effects of the changing marketplace and price inflation have prodiuced some benefit. You can buy a dead knock off of a 1959 Fender Bassman amplifier for a lot less money (adjusted for inflation) now than you could in 1959.

If you look at the amplifier situation with an even larger scope you realise that gone are the days of the tube testers and spare tubes in you local 7-11 convenience store. There was a point not so long ago where I wondered if reasonable quality tubes would stop being readily available in the next decade. Luckily small former Soviet block countries have stepped up to the plate and started manufacturing good quality vacuum tubes at a very reasonable cost.

Finally I'd like to point out that this is not an amplifier list or an amplifier manufacturers list. It's a list for harmonica enthusiasts of every stripe to gather and share whatever experiences and opinions they care to share regarding everything related to harmonica. That can include criticisms of products. I'm self employed and I consider myself very good at my job. I've currently got a 6 month waiting list for new jobs and yet there are people who do not like the set of services I provide. That's their perogative and they are certainly not wrong in their assesment. It's a subjective call and it's their's and their's alone to make. I think anyone shopping for a boutique amplifier for any purpose including harmonica will make their decision based on a variety of inputs. Harp-l might be one of those sources but it certainly shouldn't be the only one.

E-mail lists have a very steep learning curve. That and each individual list has a distinct culture. There is so much subtext involved with all of this stuff. You cannot begin to imagine all the subtleties explicit and implied in all of this. Another thing to keep in mind is that even though harp-l is virtual the reality is not. From almost the first minute I got on this list I started having in person contact with other list members. Notably Chris Michalek went a long way out of his way to visit me in the midst of his honeymoon. The harp-l contingent at the various conventions is large. It all looks easy but it isn't. I used to get a lot of really nasty hate mail in response to things I posted. Not so much anymore. I've learned and made changes in my writing style. I've invested a large amount of time in becoming a part of this community we call harp-l. Sure it's not for everyone and there are many things about harp-l to dislike but to write the list off on your first foray into posting seems presumptive. Life's short and we all have the same 24 hours in a day and I understand if you'd rather spend it on something else, practicing harmonica for instance but I also know that just by virtue of the networking provided by harp-l I know about Sonny Junior amplifiers, Renaissance harmonicas, Jimmy Gordon, Richard Sleigh, Meteor amps, the new Marine Band Deluxe, where Howard goes for coffee, Mike Will's harmonica info pages, G's harpon pages, Pat Missin, the list goes on. fjm