[Harp-L] RE: I need help, again

Hi Gail!

I've been converting sheet music to harp for some while now. I'm using the program "Melody Assistant" (MA) and a companion optical charater recognition program, "Omer."

You can find these with a search engine and download them for evaluation at no charge.

I'm also converting MIDI files that you can find all over the Internet.

Here's how it works. Once I have the file, musical notation or MIDI, loaded into the MA program I decide on what staff I want for the melody line, try to get one for a single note instrument like the flute or a vocal line, and use the TAB icon next to that staff to create a TAB for that line.

You can select the key of the harmonica you want to play on and style of TAB you want to display. I suggest having the program show the bends but not the over blows and have it notate the notes it can't play.

I've been doing this for diatonic harps and I see that it will do chromatics as well.

Thne use the instant transpose feature to move the music up or down until you get a TAB you can play.

Then, I've been using the Fletch Ditonic font to create my own tabs with the lyrics so I can practice. Melody Assistant gives a printout but ii is hard for me to read.

If you understand positions and harp keys you will find this a powerful aid in getting TABs for almost anything. Plus Melody Assistant will create a MIDI file or an MP3 files you can listen to. The MIDI files are a lot smaller as they have only sequencing information.

The Other Wayne