Re: [Harp-L] I need help, again

Hi Gail,

I have laboriously translated a few of the
songs to harmonica.  I made for myself a 'conversion scale'.

I assume that by "translated" you mean "transposed" which means changing the key.

There are several reasons to transpose a piece for harmonica:
1. It goes below middle "C" and cannot be played on a 12-hole chromatic.
2. It is in a key like Ab (four flats) and you would prefer less button pushing.
3. Fast or legato passages have fewer breath reversals in a particular key.
Otherwise, you can just play it as written.

See G's website http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/ and click on Music Theory II, Transposition. That will also give you a convenient chart that you can print out.

The last guitar chord is usually the name of the old key and you can determine the name of the new key by using the same chart.
If the old key was a minor, so will be the new key.

Click on Music Theory I for an explanation of key signatures.

There are links to other Music Theory sites that you might find helpful.

Giving you a detailed explanation of how to transpose in this email isn't necessary because it is all explained in detail in the references given.

For about $200, the Finale Allegro software will transpose in a single command. However, in is first necessary to input the music by means of midi keyboard, computer keyboard, mouse, or microphone. With the program you get many other features usch as playback, printout, etc.

Vern