[Harp-L] Re: Another simple question

"Also could you suggest which keyed harp is a best starting point for ob/od.
Thanks for any advice.
Sean."

I got my first overblow on hole 6 of an A harp.  Ever since, I've found them easier to do on lower keys.  The reeds are bigger on lower pitched harps, which requires you to blow harder, but it also gives you more room to mess around and experiment with your air flow.  The higher keyed harps are more sensitive, so you have to have a more delicate and precise technique to hit the overblow.  Any key lower than C is probably a good starting point, but don't go so low that it's hard even to get the regular blow note.  Also, I do recommend starting with hole 6 for your first overblow, but 5 works well too if you're finding 6 to be too picky.

I have no idea on overdraws.  Still can't play even one of them.  So hopefully other people will have good suggestions on that technique that we both can use!

Jonathan Metts
Director, PlanetGameCube.com