Re: [Harp-L] very simple questions and responder reed harps

It was all of them.

I don't know why G says "no" when Will Scarlett was clearly the first
to come up with the idea of a dedicated responder reed for note
bending.

Brendan Power did come up with the idea independently and did in fact
collaborate with Suzuki build a great prototype. I've played the
prototype and if it were on the market today, I think  most diatonic
players would like it better than the XB-40 because even though it
lacks the flexibility of the XB-40, its size, sound, and
playing "interface" make a much closer match to the familiar 20-reed
diatonic.

Rick Epping's patents do not lay claim to the responder reed idea -
they cite it as prior art, as Rick got the idea directly from Will
Scarlett. If they really wanted to, Suzuki could market the model
they developed with Brendan without infringing Rick's patents.

Richard Sleigh kept his idea pretty close to the vest although he
told me he was working on "something" in the early 1990s. Again, it
was arrived at independently. He may have built prototypes but I've
never seen them or heard much in the way of details.

Winslow