RE: [Harp-L] resonance and higher key harps

>>Chris says
>>   First off an F harp is not a good key for your body.  I can hear
>>   where you mouth resonates and you'll never get the full potential
>out
>>   of higher key harps

With due respect, a good musician ought to be able to get a good sound
in any key, and it's a drastic, probably career-threatening, move to
avoid certain keys because one's "natural resonance" happens to lie
somewhere else.

When I walk into a recording session, I don't get to negotiate with the
composer about what key the piece is in.  He tells me, and I play it.
Half the piece is usally recorded by the time I get there, anyway.  If I
suggest that we change keys because my natural resonance doesn't align
with the composition -- or for almost any other reason -- I will never
work for that composer again, beginning 3 seconds after I make the
suggestion.  Most live playing situations aren't that drastic, but the
singer's range, not the harp player's natural resonance, is usually the
most important factor in choosing the key for the song.

So you need to have a good sound in every key.  What do you do?  To get
a good sound in all keys, practice in different keys.  Do two weeks on
an F harp, 2 on a C harp, and two on a G harp, and repeat the cycle.
Listen carefully, focus on getting a big tone via good breath control
and breathing from the gut, and over time you'll find that your sound is
improving in all keys.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com