From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Clayton Goldstein
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 2:50 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Rockabilly Harmonica

I was ALWAYS wondering why there wasn't more Harmonica on Rockabilly
Music...so
now I play in a band, ToST, with a blazing Rockabilly guitarist.  We're
about
50% Rockabilly, and fortunately, get to play mostly what we want, when we
want,
which is often.  What harmonica player that enjoys swing & Blues wouldn't
want
to Jam with Brian Setzer's (Stray Cat) bands?

I have a hidden agenda to get rid of the hard distinctions in musical
genres.
They only seperate people and musicians.  What's the difference between
Rockabilly, Swing, Country, Jump Blues, Blues, Delta Blues, Rock and Roll,
etc?
 Not much to my ears and soul.  Sure there's sometimes a bit of a twang
here, a
growl there, more distortion, less distortion, one may have a taste for more
acoustic instruments, others like quicker more agressive arrangements,
Lyrics
may be lighter or heavier; but the venom some have for Merle Haggard or
Johnny
Cash, when they love Johnny Winters, John Lee Hooker, or Muddy Waters...I
never
understood.

Enjoy,

Clay

PS -  I don't write much but love all the contributions y'all make...except
arguing about arguing.  Happy Harping...

PSS -  My Vote:  Both Bob Dylan and John Popper "ROCK", and are valid
musical
stylists and Harmonica players.  They have advanced harmonica's
uses,technique,
tone, songwriting, atmosphere, identity and overall awareness to the public.

--
...The band and I have a WEB Site:
http://www.tostmusic.com