Subject: RE: [Harp-L] cheapo amp?

Hershey, PA

-----Original Message-----
From:  harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of  andrew collinson
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 3:11 PM
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] cheapo amp?

Help please for a real  beginner.

Is this a truly dumb question? I want the cheapest amp I can  get... is
there any reason why I can't buy, say, a 10W guitar practice amp  and plug a
mic in instead of the guitar?
Thanks guys.
J."

....Well Bill,  I'm sure glad HE asked it and you gave all this cool
information and the link, since I've never owned an AMP, a Mic or any gear  related
to my harmonica, and was beginning to think I wanted to get my feet wet  (so to
speak) by starting out slowly but didn't know where to start, didn't know
who to ask, and simply felt foolish asking at all.  My feeling is  that I'd
rather practice with a relatively cheapo Amp and mic just in case I do  something
to screw it up, and put what money I do have to spend into what I  think of as
"quality" gear at this point  - the harmonicas  themselves.

 I'm just getting re-started.  I can always give away the cheap  amp down the
road to someone else getting started -- I'm a big believer in  "paying it
forward", but what a sin it would be to invest a chunk of money  needed for
something else (and when you have as many animals as I do around my  house there's
always something else) into something I may never use properly (I  only play
at home) and could easily damage by simply not having enough technical
knowledge.   Hey -- I crashed my computer and lost all my poetry  and songs just last
year by being technologically stupid.    Aaargh!

 The mere thought of messing up something as sacred as one of Sonny's  Amps
gives me shudders, even though in my secret heart of hearts there is of  course
the desire to own one.  But why?  Because I want to be just  like the "big
boys" who are at the top of their game? I know I'll never be  that good, nor am
I that competitive. All my life I've wanted a Jaguar  too and  I still don't
have that.   I've never been on  stage, never even played in front of an
audience (unless you consider the 4  sweet guys who made me join them at 3 in the
morning in the lounge at Buckeye  over my protestations and were as kind as
could be).

 I understand when people suggest others "save their money" for the  best Amp
-- but what if they need the Amp now and just don't have  the wherewithal to
come up with the extra cash?  It's not always as  simple as doing without a
particular luxury item or giving up something they  "frivolously" spend money
on, in order to save for something so special.   Some folks really do live so
close to the bone they squeak.  I'm  not one of them now, thankfully, but I've
been there a few times.   Something some might want to keep in mind is that for
most married musicians,  especially those with children - there is always
another person involved  who may not be at all thrilled by the prospect of their
spouse spending  what they might see as an inordinate amount of money on a
high-end item  when to their point of view something much less expensive could
suffice.   Compromise is the name of the game, and we all do the best we can
within our own  lives and boundaries.  So try to cut the other guy just a little
more slack  and imagine walking a mile in his moccasins before presuming and
pre-judging  based on your own experiences and what you would or wouldn't do,
or the  sacrifices you would be willing to make.  Other folks just  may not be
in a position to make those same choices.

And I'm going to try to be a little less judgmental myself --I'm as guilty
of it as some others here so I'm certainly not letting myself off the  hook.
After hearing someone say they have FIVE children still to put  through school
and holding down a regular job while trying to make a living as a  part-time
musician I know I have no clue what it's like in his house, or the  compromises
he's had to make -- is all I'm saying.  :-)

Now I need to find a cheapo amp and mic  <g> AND figure out what  the heck
key I speak in.

Elizabeth