Re: [Harp-L] Re: Rockabilly Harmonica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clayton Goldstein" <clay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 3:50 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Rockabilly Harmonica

I was ALWAYS wondering why there wasn't more Harmonica on Rockabilly Music...so
now I play in a band, ToST, with a blazing Rockabilly guitarist. We're about
50% Rockabilly, and fortunately, get to play mostly what we want, when we want,
which is often. What harmonica player that enjoys swing & Blues wouldn't want
to Jam with Brian Setzer's (Stray Cat) bands?

I have a hidden agenda to get rid of the hard distinctions in musical genres.
They only seperate people and musicians. What's the difference between
Rockabilly, Swing, Country, Jump Blues, Blues, Delta Blues, Rock and Roll, etc?
Not much to my ears and soul. Sure there's sometimes a bit of a twang here, a
growl there, more distortion, less distortion, one may have a taste for more
acoustic instruments, others like quicker more agressive arrangements, Lyrics
may be lighter or heavier; but the venom some have for Merle Haggard or Johnny
Cash, when they love Johnny Winters, John Lee Hooker, or Muddy Waters...I never
understood.

Enjoy,

Clay

PS - I don't write much but love all the contributions y'all make...except
arguing about arguing. Happy Harping...

PSS - My Vote: Both Bob Dylan and John Popper "ROCK", and are valid musical
stylists and Harmonica players. They have advanced harmonica's uses,technique,
tone, songwriting, atmosphere, identity and overall awareness to the public.

Hi,
Differences are the grooves and how you play them, be it on top (which means right on the beat), ahead or behind and how far either way, and whether you phrase more off the 2 and the 4, and not so much the tempos, as playing ahead of the beat gives the illussion of being faster than the groove really is and playing behind the beat does the exact opposite, and blues is usually played more behind than ahead of the beat, and the further behind, the darker the overall sound. This is an area many musicians don't pay enough attention to because they're often too concerned about soloing and not enough about the groove, and understanding how the groove works IS important so that the proper feel comes through. Rockabilly is often times played ahead of the beat, as is rock and country at times are. These are VERY subtle things but they can be extremely difficult for most people to learn, and ALL of the very best studio pros understand this stuff VERY well and most people at a jam won't and because it's so subtle, that's why it's hard to really hear but it is an ESSENTIAL ingredient to learn.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com