To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 11:45 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] cheapo amp?

>Help please for a real beginner.

Is this a truly dumb question? I want the cheapest amp I can get... is there any reason why I can't buy, say, a 10W guitar practice amp and plug a mic in instead of the guitar?

Thanks guys.

J.

You can do just that if you want, and you'll be able to practise your amplified sound. The only thing is, as hundreds on this list will tell you, you need to work on getting a good, loud, round, full acoustic (unamplified) and well-projected tone first. Take a look here: http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/oldsite/goodtone.html When I play in my Irish sessions in a rather noisy pub I use a cheap lapel mic (which I originally bought to make minidisc recordings) plugged into a little portable battery guitar amp (Yamaha VA10). I also use a 15W guitar amp occasionally. You may just need a cheap adaptor to connect your mic to the amp socket. I'm playing in our trio at a wedding reception tomorrow and the Yahama's all I'll need. If I play in a bigger venue I let someone else who knows what they're doing plug me into the PA system, but that doesn't happen often, more's the pity! I also have a tiny little Fender mini-twin battery amp for when the session gets a bit quieter and more intimate. There are no rules (except the one about good unamplified tone): once you get good you can spend mega-money on this stuff if you want!

Steve (Filipendula ulmaria ;-) )

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm