[Harp-L] iPod vs. MiniDisc recording

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

writes:
> > You can use the
> > minidisc with the mike of your choice and record
to cheap minidisc
> > formats, the minidiscs are a few dollars for tons
of recording time

> I have made some great live recordings with a Sony
minidisc.... I have a
> 4-track cassette recorder that has not   been
touched in years.

i've done this too. in fact, i own two minidiscs now,
since my first one conked out on me. i also own an
iPod, but i've never used it to record. i have heard
recordings made from them though. because of the
recordings i've heard, i'm looking to get a mic for
the iPod instead. why? the minidisc recordings are
just fine - of course, they get better as you buy more
and more expensive microphones. however, you still
have to buy the unit (if you already have an iPod, you
just saved yourself a few hundred bucks) and you have
to buy minidisc "tapes" of course. and you have to
label them, and keep track of how much time you have
left on them and all of that. i find it a real pain in
the behind. i already have scores of discs and i find
them easy to get mixed up, misplace, accidentally
record over, you name it. on the other hand,
organizing files on my computer/iPod is ridiculously
easy. that's another thing, my understanding is the
iPod records directly to MP3 (i could be wrong about
that), however, for my minidisc, i either have to use
Sony's ridiculous software that limits the number of
copies i can make and how much i can move them, or
else i have to re-record the music to the computer in
real time. not fun. and the quality changes (because
you go from digital to analog to digital), unlike with
the iPod. (of course, you can't get really great mics
for the iPod, but i don't want to spend hundreds on a
mic anyway. i'm not recording a studio album with any
of this stuff - practices, live shows, etc).
also, you run out of time on a disc faster than with
an iPod (assuming you leave space open). if you move
things on and off your iPod regularly like i do,
that's not much of an issue. i can leave a few gigs
open and record hours and hours worth without
interruption (again, i haven't tried this. there may
be a logistical issue i'm unaware of).
for my money, research the iPod thing some more and go
with the minidisc if there is a fatal flaw. minidisc
tech is great, and i loved it once, but the was Sony
handles the software and the issue of copyright is a
real problem, and the discs aren't as secure, imo, as
a hard drive. i've had discs wipe for no reason at
all. more then once.

anyway, good luck,

  --Jp