Subject: Re: [Harp-L]you know who

CARA writes: (TOTALLY UNSNIPPED)

"All I can say, Barbara, is that we do ourselves a disservice when we are
too
critical of another player, especially to that player's fans. It makes  us
look worse than the person we criticized, and can, in some cases, drive
those people away, rather than introduce them to a player we like better.

Often, the players to which we are most attracted at a particular point  in
our development, are conveying ideas that guide us to improve  our
playing. Eventually,as we develop, we may "outgrow" our old favorite  players
to pick up new favorites who are conveying that which will aid in our  next
development. However,those old favorites may never go away completely
because, as we learn more, we understand more about their playing and continue  to
learn from it. So, criticism of a particular player to that player's fan is
generally unwise if your intent was to encourage them to improve and hear
someone else. They are a fan because the player's playing is, for some reason,
attractive and
educational to them. You may not understand it or like it,  but it speaks to
that fan; and until he is ready to move on, the only thing  you can hope to
achieve is to discourage the fan completely. We can  encourage others to
listen to our favorites without criticizing their  favorites.

This John Popper thing came up at SPAH last year, by the way,  and nearly
totally confused and discouraged one of our newest, talented  players. I
helped him clear it up and reminded him that he may actually  'get' John
Popper's playing even better than those people who were  criticizing him,
especially since it was John Popper's playing that had  encouraged him and
guided him to take up the harmonica in the first place.  But the incident
caused me to wonder if those mouthy critics of John Popper  could remember
that the 'P' in SPAH stood for "Preservation" and the 'A' for  "Advancement".
Cara"

....YEAH Cara! -- perfectly put!  I only wish they could have worked  an "R"
in there somewhere -- for "Respect" when they were coming up with the
Acronym.  Or added to the name: SPAH- Res (respect for every style).

Elizabeth