Re: [Harp-L] Single reed bend (simple question)

You might have wanted the physics behind what's
happening but I'll try giving a simple mental picture.

>Lets take hole number 1 for example on a 10 hole
>diatonic harmonica. There is a valve on the lower
>reed, so this cannot participate in a blow bend. Why
>does the sound become deeper in picth (lower
>frequency) if I (blow) bend it down?

Constricting the air column in your throat serves to
'pinch' or clamp the reed's free vibration. Hence, it
vibrates more slowly resultong in lower pitch. Like
kinking a garden hose?

>OR

>Lets take hole nr 1 again with the upper reed blocked
>(overblow situation). I blow the draw reed. Why does
>the sound become higher in pitch if I (blow) bend it
>up?

Somehow the opposite direction airflow gets under the
tip of the opening reed. This air doesn't travel the
full length of the reed but only excites the portion
toward the tip. Since the reed doesn't vibrate along
its full length what you have in essence is a shorter
reed resulting in higher pitch.

Like I said, a non scientific explantion so take it
with a grain of salt, I might wrong but this is how I
envision it.