Re: [Harp-L] Customization (was mb deluxe)

Paul Bowering wrote:
> Tim, could you elaborate a little. A custom set-up
> would of course require distinction between close
> gapping/precision for overblowing or wide gapping for
> a hard blower but does it go beyond that? For example,
> are there different set-ups within the overblow
> customization process. If so, how can you determine
> what a player's requirements are?

It might be a harp gapped extremely close for someone who's just
learning to overblow.  It might be a harp that's set up for acoustic
play at relatively low volumes, or someone who's a very proficient
overblow player and can use gaps a little higher.  Some players
don't like the brassy tone that comes from heavy reedslot embossing;
some think that's a "holy grail" tone characteristic.  There are a
tremendous number of tuning variations, and often people don't have
a real understanding of the implications of the different
intonations.  They need a recommendation based on information about
their style, taste, etc.  Many times people know precisely what they
want, and sometimes it's some unique combination of elements that
aren't available in an off-the-shelf model, like an equally tempered
Special 20, or a compromised intoned Hering Vintage 1923, or a Paddy
Richter tuned, equally tempered Golden Melody.

I usually ask a lot of questions about the player's style and
preferences, what they have liked and disliked about harps they have
owned, their embouchure, their mix of single notes and
chords/partials/intervals, who they emulate (if anyone), who they
admire, what songs they like to play and why, what positions (modes)
they comfortable playing, stuff like that.

-tim