Re: [Harp-L] Popper-the lightning rod

What I got from reading Cara's brilliantly crafted note to the list was
it's not polite to criticise other people's musical heroes.  It made
sense to me.  I found a paralell in my post gig behaviour.  People
oftentimes would come up to me between sets or after a gig and tell me
how much they liked my playing or the show or the band.  I'd immediately
launch into a blow by blow critique of my playing and what was wrong
with it and the band's execution.  I finally realised how rude I was
being.  Now I smile and thank them for coming to the show.  As Cara
points out, by dismissing someone's taste in harmonica music you miss an
opportunity for dialogue. People hear what they want to hear when they
want to hear it.  Telling them that what the like isn't good won't
change that and it's not particularly valid.  Since most of us on this
list are not professional critics having John Pareles on our side isn't
a particularly valid defense.  That and it's a subjective arena so
having nationaly known critics on your side doesn't particularly add to
the discussion.  Clearly people wiil do what they do and harp-l is not
at all regulated in regards to criticisms of music and performers as
long as the posts fall within the guidelines of the list.  The question
I'd be asking is does what I have to say add to any discussion?  Tyranny
of ther majority this is not.  fjm