[Harp-L] REVIEW OF MARINE BAND DELUXE FROM A TECH

Hi Everyone,
Since the MBD has hit the market, and others are giving it mixed reviews,
I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I have had 3 in the key of C and 3 in the key of A. I customized all 6 of
them for my clients. These customized MBD's recieved farorable reviews.
In my opinion, the stock MBD does not play any better, or very little
better then a stock Hohner harp. I have confirmed this with my friend and
client Jason Ricci who I let play one in my presence, (Jason I hope you
don't mind me saying this) and my other friend who is also a harp
customizer who's name I will not mention that confirmed this also.
I hoped that the MBD would solve all our problems. I believe this is not
the case. I think a regular customized MB is as good or better then a
customized MBD and in no way comes close to a good customized harp.
I do like the covers, but it is easy to open up the backs of stock covers.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to re shape the MBD covers to allow
extra clearance for the one hole draw like me, and some other customizers
do.
The combs on the MBD are only partly sealed, so they will warp. I do like
the rounded teeth, but again, that is easy to do in the process of
customizing a harp. The reeds are thinner and I think this is the worst
thing about the MBD and God help us, we will all have to deal with thinner
reeds because Hohner will be using the thinner reeds in all the handmade
harps when the existing supply runs out!
I wish I could give a better review. I have been a Hohner endorsee since
1992. I believe Hohner makes the best harps, but the MBD has dissapointed
me.
Regards,
Bob Meehan
bobmeehan.net