[Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-the lightning rod]

Meant this to go to the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-the lightning rod
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:54:10 -0700
From: Joel Fritz <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Glenn Weiser <celticguitar1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Glenn Weiser wrote:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<   Big Snip

Ah, John Popper, that veritable lightning rod for criticism.
I have long been a critic of Popper's playing, as I think it's it's the
epitome of bad taste. He seems to have an absolute phobia of sweet lyrical
phrarses with-omigod-long notes. John Pareles, chief pop music critic of the
New York Times, panned his playing as a an excercise of trying to fit as
many notes into a measure as possible, and added something like "dizzying
runs that go up and down the scale and end nowhere."
Freedom of expression must be tolerated here, and if someone just can't
stand his playing, they should be able to express that. I certainly respect
the opinions of his fans.
And in Popper's defense, as I've said before, there are these points-
1. He's done a lot to popularize the instrument, and deserves credit for
that.
2. For better or worse, he's crafted an original style-very hard to do.
3. He's made a good living playing harp, too. Even harder to do.
4. Like me, he's from New Jersey. The boy can't be all bad, now.

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm

I find it hard to get real excited about John Popper. I don't care for his approach to the instrument, but he certainly knows how to catch people's attention. I feel the same way about quite a few rock and blues guitar players. Some people really get off on speed--the musical kind, that is. There are legions of pop singers in the American Idol style. Some of them have great voices and big ranges. Not my cup of tea. Then there's opera....

I live in the USA where "everyone's entitled to their own stupid
opinion."  Could be worse.  Consider North Korean pop music.  Enjoyment
is mandatory.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell