[Harp-L] MB Deluxe vs. Hering 1923

--- Chesper Nevins <chespernevins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd be curious what people think about them in
> comparison.
> I wonder what improvements were made that the
> MBDeluxe has to cost $50 while the 1923 is
> around $20?

Hi Chesper,

Interesting question!

I have a number of 1923 Herings that I like very
well. The first comparison is looks... the Hering,
with its brass colored covers looks more "old
fashioned". The MBD, with its turned up coverplates
looks more "custom".

Cover plates on the MBD have been opened up in the
back, the Herings have a rear "flap" similar to the
old MBs.

Both have similarly sealed wooden combs, though on
the MBD, the sealant covers the entire reed chamber
whereas the Hering only goes partway inside the
chamber (though I've never experienced swelling on
the Herings).

Hohner uses 4 screws on the cover plate, Hering
uses 2.

The reedplate on the Hering appears thicker than
the MBD and feels a tad heavier overall. (more
substantial?)

Response out of the box: Now, I have 7 Herings and
only one MBD, so this comparison would be better if
I had 7 MBDs, but that ain't gonna happen for a
while. In my experience, however, generally the
Herings were more responsive out of the box than
the one MBD I own. Gapping was not consistant on
all of those harps, so to be fair, I would guess
that some MBDs would come better gapped than the
one I own.

I can't compare tunings as I've messed with all my
Hering harps (moving them away from the 7-limit
just tuning to a 19-limit tuning which I prefer).

Volume-wise, however they are very comparible.

Once set up, however, my MBD seemed better equipped
to deal with overbends. I got a bit of squealing
from the Herings and had to fix them with TurboTape
(as I stated in a prevous post).

I'm guessing the cost difference is likely tied to
the difference in labor between Germany and Brazil.
Both harps seem to be of excellent quality.

I like 'em both VERY much!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.