Re: [Harp-L] MB Deluxe vs. Hering 1923

Chesper Nevins wrote:
> I'd be curious what people think about them in
> comparison.
> I wonder what improvements were made that the
> MBDeluxe has to cost $50 while the 1923 is
> around $20?

I don't think the Deluxe was developed to compete with the 1923,
although Hohner certainly recognized there was a need there they
needed to fill.

The Deluxe was developed by Hohner on advice from Steve Baker.
Steve's a sharp guy.  He saw that there are a large number of
advanced players around the world plunking down a lot of money to
customizers, many of whom are simply putting Marine Band plates and
covers on a different comb (sealed wood, plastic, composite, etc.)
and assembling with screws.  He also recognized that a lot of
players are looking for an alternative to customizing, because their
needs are not that predictable.  If you're gigging on the road and
you need an A harp for tonight you don't have time to order it from
a customizer.  I'm sure it was not lost on him that many of these
players were choosing things like the Vintage 1923 over the Marine
Band for their off-the-shelf stuff.

I also think that price of the harp is set more by what the market
will bear than by competitive costs against the Hering or even cost
to manufacture.  In the US the price seems to be around $50 for the
deluxe, about what it costs for a no-frills (read: no reedwork) "MB-
plates-on-an-alternate-comb" from a customizer.

The strength of the Euro against the dollar probably adds to the
price.  The Euro has climbed almost 15% against the dollar since the
Deluxe was announced in January, taking the $45 projected price up
to more than $50.

-tim