Re: [Harp-L] cover plate shaping: (Filisko)

If all you want is reed clearance, you can use a hammer and punch to make a
small dent.

My mindset is that Joe Filisko reshapes the bottom cover "fatter" on the
left side for enhanced tone, especially on lower harps, not for necessarily
the grip or reed clearance.

1) I've A/B'd stock covers vs. Filisko's on a non-Filisko harp, his sound
fuller
2) He strongly advocates light playing, and you'd have to play way to hard
to make the lower reeds hit when they are gapped as tight as his

also...
I prefer the way he opens the backs, retaining the lip, as to pressing them
flat.

1) It makes the harp less prone to squirting out of your sweaty hand.
2) The lip forms one side of a "channel", and makes the opening very strong,
so you can grip it very tightly without caving the covers in.