[Harp-L] Subject: John Popper carping critics

I'm probably one of the few people here who have no idea what John Popper
and Blues Traveler sound like or how fast his harmonica playing is or even what
he looks like, but I find it disquieting when other harmonica players
consistently knock a fellow musician not necessarily because they don't  like his
sound but for reasons that range all over the place:  from  "sellout" (plays
Rock instead of Blues); "no musicality"; "plays too fast";  "doesn't play enough
harp", blah blah blah.

 I agree with Cara et al - the entire point is to promote and  advance
harmonica playing and if John Popper succeeds in doing just that by  having
developed his own original style, what gives any other harp musician the  right to
constantly knock him?  If you don't appreciate his music  as is your right, don't
listen to it.  If you don't like his live  shows, don't attend them.  Don't
buy his CD's.  I wouldn't if and when  I finally found out I didn't
particularly care for his style.  This  constant carping by some comes across purely as
sour grapes - because he  has an audience who obviously like what he does and
are willing to pay to hear  him?

 We have respected musicians on this list who recognize the  inherent talent
in John Popper and have no qualms saying so here even  if they aren't exactly
fans of his music.  Kudos to them.

When I informed my late 20's - early 30's nephew and niece that I had
retaken up playing harmonica they were thrilled that I was now going to be "Hip  -
like John Popper & Blues Traveler" until I explained I had no idea  who he was
and what his music was like.  They know harmonica purely  through him and are
now open to the sound of a harp -- are excited by my playing  just because of
their exposure through his music.  That's worth everything  to me.  He's
opened doors!  It doesn't matter if you don't like how he  plays - he IS advancing
the harmonica.  I might not like how YOU play  - I can pretty much guarantee
you won't like how I play, but who asked  you anyway? <vbg>

Elizabeth