Re: [Harp-L] Impartial Critique of Popper Thread

Excellent point.

Popper sounds like Popper, which is different at least from all those trying to sound like dead heroes, and no slam on that; it's a worthwhile goal, too.
But Popper is very, very good at sounding like Popper. It's like a quote I heard that I think I remember came from Keef Richard, and it was when he was asked something about were the Stones better players in their 20s and 30s or now...and Keef replied words to the effect of "well, I don't know if we play better than we did back then, but we're much better at being the Stones."

I have enough to learn to just sound like _me_, too.

Ron

Joel Fritz wrote:

One thing that struck me about the Popper thread is the belief some people have that harp players have an obligation to do something to make the harmonica more respectable or whatever. Seems to me it's like anything else, you do the best you can. It's not a crusade; it's music. Somehow I can imagine the same sort of thing in a bagpipe list.
Don't get me wrong, I like bagpipe music. I'm more partial to the Irish pipes than the Scottish pipes but I'm a sucker for anything that has a drone. Then there's the wonderful double reed woodwind family. Don't get me started on shawms. Every marching band should have a shawm section.