RE: [Harp-L] Waxing Rivets for Overbends [plus!]

Bobbie Giordano
> Ken "Mojo Red" posted:
> >I've had very good luck with using the "Turbo Tape"
> >idea to stop overbend squeal on LO harps and on
> >Hering 1923 harps (not all of which squeal).
> <...>
> >Here's a graphic from the TurboLid Website:
> >http://www.turboharp.com/graphics/company/Turbotape.TIF
>
> Interesting... some years ago, I met James Antaki at the original
Harmonica
> Summit in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and my fascination with acoustical
> properties and other dynamics of free reeds was enhanced by some very good
> conversations about them with Jim, who had been studying them for some
time
> in great depth...  <huge, ruthless snip>

Bobbie, it seems like finite element analysis would be a natural for stuying
the dynamics of a vibrating free reed.  Do you happen to know whether anyone
has used FIA to characterize the complex motion(s) of a free reed as it
vibrates under different input conditions?  That would make a nice thesis
project for a harmonica-playing engineering student, don't you think?

Thanks,

Michelle