Re: [Harp-L] Waxing Rivets for Overbends [plus!]

>Bobbie, it seems like finite element analysis would be a natural for
>stuying
>the dynamics of a vibrating free reed.  Do you happen to know whether
>anyone
>has used FIA to characterize the complex motion(s) of a free reed as it
>vibrates under different input conditions?  That would make a nice thesis
>project for a harmonica-playing engineering student, don't you think?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Michelle

Finite element analysis would show you what the reed is doing and how it is
vibrating, but you would have to model the forces on the reed to get
results, and that could be very difficult without understanding more about
the airflow.  I would suggest a computational fluid dynamics approach (CFD)
first.  It would show the nature of the airflow around the reed and through
the slot as a function of time.  CFD can show you the vortices, turbulence,
etc. and it can help you determine the force on the surrounding structures
at various points and time markers.

I've been lightly exposed to FEA and CFD as an Aerospace Engineering
student, but I'm afraid my focus is elsewhere (rocket propulsion and
spacecraft design).  Some of my fellow students are working with the above
techniques, though, so I may mention this concept to them.  It seems to be a
great starting point for a thesis or dissertation, being so poorly
understood at this time.

Jonathan Metts