[Harp-L] "Groovin"

>Danny wrote<

"I had long wondered who played the harmonica lines in another "top 40"
recording by The Young Rascals - "Groovin'" (1967). I even checked with
Tommy Morgan who had done such great lines on The Beach Boys'  "Good
Vibrations", Elvis' "Guitarman", The Carpenters' "Rainy Days and
Mondays", Linda Ronstadt's "Skylark", and so many others, to see if it
might have been him. His response: "I wish!"

So I decided to write to The Young Rascals' webmaster with my question,
and his response was: "Gene Cornish (guitar & vocals) played harmonica
on Groovin' - both in the studio and live on stage." I never found any
reference on their many pages of web coverage that Gene played harmonica

on any other of their hit recordings. It is not even listed on their
official website."

Not true...the harp player on "Groovin" was my friend and New York based
musician Michael Weinstein.  He was working at Bob Gallo's Talentmaster
Recording Studio, a subsidiary of Atlantic Records. Felix who wrote the
song was introduced to Michael by Chris Huston the engineer.  The song
was completed but they wanted a little harp on it to sweeten it up.
Michael went out and bought a e flat harp, went into the studio while
the band and Murray The Kay were in the control room and they cut it. An
acetate was made and Murray the Kay who was with 1010 WINS ran uptown to
the station and played it that day.  The song was #1 for 13 weeks.

Trip Henderson ~ NYC