RE: [Harp-L] dorien mode

just play in 3rd position,ex if the band is in the key of A play an g harp
that would give you the flat 3 and 7. G A B C D E F# same an A dorien A B C D E
F# G the notes are not in the same place but they are there.

tom in ct.

A lot of "minor key" Irish tunes are actually Dorian mode. E Dorian tunes work best on a standard-tuned D harp and A Dorian ones, as Tom says, on a G harp. I might be able to play these on Dorian-tuned harps but those harps wouldn't be much use to me for the other modes I need (Ionian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Lydian) which simply equate to different "positions" on a standard harp.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm