Re: [Harp-L] dorian tuned harp

CHARLES BASSI wrote:
"What A minor harp do you use?  Natural?  Harmonic?
And what position provides the A Dorian scale?
I know I should be able to figure this stuff out
on my own, but I'm lazy and confused."

Use an A natural minor.  Take out the blow plate, and put in a blow
plate from a standard D harp.  Done.

The harp now is in A minor dorian when played in second position.  In
first position, it's D mixolydian.  Try playing "Tequila" in this
position; the chords will blow your mind.  In third position, it's E
natural minor.

The dorian-tuned harp is a very nice axe to have in your kit, and no
matter what position you play it in, the chords sound great and the
licks fall right into place.  After all, the only difference between
this tuning and standard is that the draw 3 and 7 reeds are 1/2 step
flat.  If you play it just like a standard diatonic, everything works
and sounds very, very cool.

Regards,
Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com