Re: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: "Vintage" small leather suitcase on EbayforHarp/gear case?

"Dave Murray" <dlmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Last month I flew with 7 harps in a padded Lee Oskar case that was in my
> carry on backpac. No problem one way, the other they stopped me after the
> X-ray and wanted to look into the bag. The harps. It was OK to carry them.
> She said that the angle of the X-ray photo made it hard to tell what they
> were.

i just travelled with my harps in the same case.  i made it a point to
bring it as carry-on, and as i approached the security checkpoint, i
unzipped the case and laid it flat, open, on the conveyor.  the security
guy thanked me for doing so.  i told him i thought it'd look to suspicious
otherwise, and he said that was definitely so.

on a previous trip, a single harp in my backback caused 5 minutes
of consternation as they ran it back and forth and back and forth through
the machine, trying to figure out what it was.

i think the best thing is to be as open and obvious about what you've
got as possible.  don't wait for them to see something "suspicious",
cause once that happens, a whole different set of rules and expectations
kicks in.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?