[Harp-L] Re: CFD

"One quick question for Jonathan, too (I always have more questions than
answers, it seems...  ;).  I know there are commercially available FEA
software environments that are fairly easy to use (heh, heh...), though they
aren't cheap.  By "easy to use" I mean you can input a 2- or 3-D
mathematical model and some relevant boundary conditions and the program
will make a wire frame and do the FEA calculations for you.  Is there such a
commercially available progam environment for computational fluid dynamics?
Might you have acces to it?"

There are many commercially available CFD programs, but such specialized software tends to be very expensive.  Moreover, setting up any CFD problem is very difficult, and I don't know if there's much any program can do to aid in the process.  If you are suggesting that you want to try getting a CFD program to do this problem yourself without any training, I think you would be wasting your time (no offense).  We're talking about extremely advanced aerodynamics work that people go to school for years and years to learn to handle.  Personally, I have intentionally avoided taking CFD classes because I don't want to get stuck in a job where I'm expected to work on that stuff for the rest of my life.  I think the best route here is to find someone who is already learning or using CFD analyses and convince them that the harmonica is a sufficiently interesting topic of interest.

Jonathan Metts