RE: [Harp-L] Breaking in harps

OK, I am confused. I have never played a Marine Band
(or any other wood body harp) so I am not sure what
people are talking about when they say they are
"breaking in" a new harp. I own Bushman Delta Frost,
Suzuki Promaster, Lee Oskar, Hohner Cross Harp and
Dannecker Blues. The harps themselves sound no
different from the first day till now.
If you are referring to the reeds, there is no
scientific evidence for a "breaking in" period, quite
the opposite.
Playing gently All the time will increase the life of
your harps, but do we really need to play even More
gently at first?
I am honestly not writing to be a smart A$$, I am
genuinely curious. What am I missing here?

Chris

Personally, Chris, I don't think you're missing anything. When you get a new harmonica you want it to last as long as possible so you naturally go at it fairly gently at first. This may lead you to think that it's responding differently to a well-used machine that you honk away on with gay abandon, and so needs the kid-glove treatment, but I honestly think it's all in the mind. The only changes I can think of that may occur as a new harp is played is that the wood (if applicable) may swell a bit, which may or may not be desirable, and that the whole shebang will get dirtier as time goes on unless you clean it. As for parts "bedding in," tell me which parts need to and how they're supposed to do this. I can't remember which eminent list-member once said it (may have been in connection with XB40s), but it's perhaps more a case of the new harmonica breaking YOU in.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm