[Harp-L] RE: Harp Soul

I am a little late on this thread.  I was out of town for a week.  But while I was gone, I read a great book related to the topic called "Effortless Mastery".  It is all about finding the "space" where your insturment plays itself and you sit back and enjoy.

The biggest thing I took from the book is to let the harp play itself and don't force a riff or idea just to use it.  Don't worry about playing well, just play. Then as you practice and master the next idea you are working on, it will find its way into your playing when it is ready. (there is actually much more to the book then I'll try and explain)

This is a real gut check since you only play what you have masterd and only practice small chunks of music at a time.  I didn't get to play at all last week and I had a gig Saturday.  With now warm up I just started playing.  While in my "space"...which I still need to work on...I had a great time.  It was probably the most repetitive I've ever sounded, but I didn't make many "mistakes" or feel rushed...nor did I feel like I needed to be doing more.  It was a lot of fun!  Of courese, I wasn't in my "space" the whole time and there was some old me, but I can see and hear the difference.

A short email won't do the book justice and I recommened it everyone who is into music.  If you want to sound great and play from the soul and have everybody into what your doing I know you will find this insightful.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
NiteRail

http://www.niterail.com