Re: [Harp-L] breaking in marine bands

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tinus" <tinus@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:26 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] breaking in marine bands

My understanding is that everyone accepts that reeds
become more playable and responsive after a break in
period. Some folks simply dispute the argument that
slowly breaking in reeds can prolong their life span.

Thanks, that would explain my confusion. I was under the impression that people said that it didn't help playability. I have no opinion on the effect on lifespan. I don't keep track of my reedplates so I can't tell how old they are exactly and how much they have been played.

Tinus

It is very unlikely that a break-in period affects the reeds themselves. If there were any "loosening up" of the reeds, it would certainly affect pitch. For example when the metal begins to fatigue it "loosens up" and the reed goes flat. The break-in playing could apply moisture to the wooden comb, cause it to swell, close leaks and make the harp a bit more responsive. Or dried saliva could seal leaks.

There is also the subjective effect on the player. If you expect the break-in period to make the harp more playable, then you are very likely to experience it even if the harp hasn't changed at all.

Vern