Re: [Harp-L] dorian tuning?

If you use chords altered tunings are great but they're also quite useful for single note playing too. Hey Bob, remember that C I bought from you awhile back? I retuned it to G minor and now I use it all the time. Perhaps I sensed you'd just try and talk me out of it? For anyone influenced by Lee Oskar or Mickey Raphael or for that matter Charlie McCoy altered tunings are a must. Guitar players retune all the time, what's the big deal? Capos are just a form of retuning. Choose the instrument that feeds your muse not someone else's. Speaking of altered tunings, I had bought all 5 of the Lee Oskar Melody Maker tuned harmonicas and then promptly left them in a drawer for the next 7 years. An answer to a question I wasn't asking, or so I thought. Follwing WVa Bob's question regarding playing Somewhwere Over the Rainbow I started pondering the suggestion to use a MM tuning. Eventually I got a Special 20 retuned to a F# MM scheme. At first it made my brain hurt but now I think I'm going to switch. The chord voicings and possibilites are nicer than on the SBS I used to play it on. That and there aren't any of those naked 3 down draw bends that can sound oh so bad if you miss even slightly not to mention legato. Ok, so Jason Ricci, Michael Peloquin, Rosco, and Chris Michalek don't use altered tunings, I'll add Bob Meehan to the list. I have no desire to sound like any of these people. Are any of these guys tongue blockers? Oops, Rosco's in training. I don't mean to sound as if I'm dismissing any particular style of music here, I'm not. It's just I hear in my nhead what I hear in my head and it's none of the above. fjm