RE: [Harp-L] breaking in marine bands

Vern Smith wrote:

> It is very unlikely that a break-in period affects the reeds themselves.
If
> there were any "loosening up" of the reeds, it would certainly affect
pitch.
> For example when the metal begins to fatigue it "loosens up" and the reed
> goes flat.  The break-in playing could apply moisture to the wooden comb,
> cause it to swell, close leaks and make the harp a bit more responsive.
Or
> dried saliva could seal leaks.
>
> There is also the subjective effect on the player.  If you expect the
> break-in period to make the harp more playable, then you are very likely
> experience it even if the harp hasn't changed at all.

Good to have you back, Vern.  How did your week with Maestro Bonfiglio go?

I'm thinking that what happens when Tinus hooks his harps to his vacuum
cleaner is not so much breaking them in as stress testing them.  The reeds
that cannot survive the procedure are identified as weak and are replaced.
The ones that do survive remain.  The aggregate leaves a high percentage of
reeds proven to be "tough enough to take licking and keep on ticking."  In
the end the procedure results in a more robust instrument that actually ~is~
likely to last longer.  He proactively replaces the reeds that would
otherwise fail during play, probably at a crucial moment.  He's defying
Murphy's law!  8^)

At least that's the way I see it.

Michelle