RE: [Harp-L] dorian tuning?

While I agree with what I *think* is Bob's main point -- master the regular Richter tuning first -- I have to say that I would hate a gig where I couldn't play The Godfather theme on my Lee Oskar Harmonic Minor harp, or where I couldn't use a Natural Minor harp for fragments of my solos in Summertime, Ain't No Sunshine, While My Guitar Gently Weeps or a host of others.

At the risk of starting a riotous debate, which is not really my intention, I believe a judicious combination of harmonicas in a given song, including playing different positions on various harps as well as altered tunings, gives a player at least as much harmonic flexibility as the use of overblows, with greater fluidity, more chording options, and sharper intonation (for some players, at least).
-s-

Bob Meehan wrote:
Because I customize harps for a living, I can tune a regular harp to any altered tuning for any customer. If someone really wants this, I will do it. I will however try to talk you out ot it.
There are a few GREAT players who specialize in altered tunings.
RH, PM and BP are 3 that come to mind. These guys have mastered the regular tuned harps first!