Re: [Harp-L] breaking in marine bands

I've respected Vern's objective approach to issues for
awhile so it was nice to see myself challenged on a
particular point by his reason. I'm not ready to
entirely concede however. Says Vern:

>It is very unlikely that a break-in period affects
>the reeds themselves. If there were any "loosening
>up" of the reeds, it would certainly affect pitch.
>For example when the metal begins to fatigue >it
"loosens up" and the reed goes flat.

If a reed at the point of failure has a 'loose or
'mushy' feel doesn't that jive with our theory? The
opposite situation is a fresh new reed which might be
too stiff. The ideal is the middle in which a reed has
been played enough to be somewhat pliable and allow
for smooth bends but still have some life left.

Paul

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs