From: Jim McBride <jpmcbride@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] FW: Dorian tuned alternative
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

Did I read your post right about playing the 3 draw unbent in 3rd position? I'm an intermediate player but I play in a band that plays a lot of classic rock cover songs and I find that 3rd position works great with a lot of minor key songs. A couple that we do come to mind, "All Along the Watchtower (Dylan)" and "Little Wing (Hendrix). In my limited experience the 3 draw seems to clash badly. When I've occasionally hit it by accident when jumping down to the 4 draw it sounds really BAD and I jump off as quickly as I can. Does it go best with a particular chord in the minor progression? Or am I really just limiting myself as you said? Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, I was at the Atlanta Jam camp and have since bought your CD "Feel Good Funk". Fantastic stuff. I love it. Only problem is I can't figure out how to play any of it!

Jim McBride