Re: [Harp-L] Dorian tuned alternative

"Michael Peloquin" wrote:

<The dorian tuning has intrigued me. I think that there are many merits
<to it...
<All this tells me that the chordal advantages do come at a price. Does
<the well equipped altered tuning player's case have over 100 harps,
<including backups? My brain hurts now!

The case I drag to recording sessions has about 75 harps in it -- full
sets in Dorian, Natural Minor, and standard, partial sets in Melody
Maker, Country tuning, and Harmonic Minor, plus a few Paddy Richters,
low tunings, other unusual tunings that I don't need a full set for,
backups for the most commonly used harps, etc., etc.

Sound like a lot?  The whole set costs about the same as one pro-quality
synthesizer or guitar.  By pro standards, it's not a lot.  And my amp
rig cost a lot less than most.  But I agree that it's a lot of harps.

My traveling case -- the one I take to most jams -- only has 14 harps in
it, mostly in standard tuning, with a couple of NMs and one Dorian. Plus
a chromatic, of course.

Tommy Morgan told me once that he took 75 pounds of harmonicas to every
recording session.  That included bass and 48 chord, of course, but
still.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com