Re: [Harp-L] Harps on Planes -- Sort of Urgent

As far as the question about why do they sometimes go right through and other times not, it has everything to do with what the harps look like on the screener's viewing screen. If they are easily recognized, they'll let them pass. But if they are jumbled together or rolled up in a cloth carry case, appearing as a mass of metal, you're gonna get yanked. I've even mentioned to them as I placed my bag on the line "there's some harmonicas in there". The screeners never asked me to play them but a few people in line with me have :^)

Bill Hines

Yeah - the first time I traveled with my harp case as a carry on, I was only worried about the Smokey Amp and the madcat shaker mic I use in the streets with my jug band- I never even thought about the Lee Oskar tool kit that was crammed in the center chromatic slot in my case until they were shakin' me down - but they have let me go on 6 planes now with the kit so far - I may be pushing my luck though.  Seems rather strange - I've had several small pairs of scissors taken away but can make it through with the LO tool kit.

I'd hate to lose it though - anybody else travel with the LO toolkit in carryon? I do love to see the look on the screener's face though as I go through security - priceless.