RE: [Harp-L] Re: Harps on Planes -- Sort of Urgent

I've traveled with my harps quite a bit. I prefer to carry them on. I shudder
to think of some TSA agent opening my bags and "inspecting" my harps. I
usually carry a shoulder bag with about 20 harps, a couple of mics and a mic
cable. Sometimes the screener lets it all go, sometimes we open each case to
see what's inside. I've never been asked to play them, which would seem like
the logical thing to do to prove they are harps. I was once asked by the
screener "Why you got so many? You only got one mouth." I probably wouldn't
carry on an tool kit. I've lost too many 2" knives and scissors.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt

When I did the return trip to Australia via Kuala Lumpur at Easter I went through four X-ray checks. My carry-on bag contained a Lee Oskar harp case with seven harps lined up inside like an explosives pack. The bag also contained my Fender mini-twin battery amp. I was questioned only once out of the four times about my bag contents, and that was only about the harps, not the detonator - oops, I mean the mini-amp!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm