Re: [Harp-L] Baroque or classical at SPAH

On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Robert (Le Bon Vivant) Bonfiglio wrote:

I play classical Harmonica Concertos for a living with symphonies all over the world, and yet SPAH does not invite me to their annual events in spite of my willingness to go and to teach.

I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that at Memphis 1993, you stated that SPAH was too cheap to bring in a back-up orchestra/band for you. As my memory serves me, I opened up the open mike playing at 7 pm on Tuesday and YOU went on right after me and did several great numbers with virtually NO back-up even to the extent that you showed everyone that you're a regular guy by doing some blues.

Let's be serious Robt., I think the key word above is 'SYMPHONIES'. This (in and of itself) scared the S**T out of spah (at least in the time frame in question). YOU scared the S**T out of spah. Someone of your calibre shouldn't have to 'wing-it', and since you are used to back-up, you should HAVE back-up. If they won't supply it, they loose. We ALL loose.

Robt. Bonfiglio at open mike? Jeez, that was awfully magnanamous of you.

We don't do Schtik? Is that it? It's kind of like having a singing event where the Barber Shop Quartet is what it's about. Who knows, but the people who actually making a living playing the instrument and held high in their respective fields don't seem to be at the top of the list at Spah.

I think it's just a matter of money.

Well, Chris had the Harmonica Summit in Minneapolis with all pro players and it proved to me that there were people who took the instrument seriously.

So, my question would be: Was there a possibility of you doing some of YOUR stuff at the summit, or would you have had a hard time because of a lack of back-up musicians?

So I plan to do my own Seminars and not deal with the politics.

I can dig it. It's like my wife said "Some people don't need spah"..........smokey-joe

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com