[Harp-L] "Groovin"

Hey Rob,

Thanks for filling in more of the blanks on the story of the "Groovin"
harp line - it really was the song's hook wasn't it?  Yup, I really love
to hear those stories too.  Recording back then was so immediate - no
focus groups of Brittany Spears fans, just players, producers, DJ's
hanging out in the studio.  I wouldn't be surprised if "Murray The Kay"
didn't get a little do re mi for running the single uptown to the
station and giving it a spin ;-)

According to Michael Weinstein, back in the day bands would cut singles
into acetate and if it was hot they would literally play them that day
on the radio, heck at Chess I read they would play it from the studio
right out onto the street. When the "Young Rascals" went to record the
LP version with "Groovin" they had to recut the song and Gene simply
copped the part that Michael had laid down on the single and he did the
same on stage. Michael is a humble guy and like you harp is only part of
his thing, he's not one exaggerate and swears that if you asked Felix
about the harp line he'd back up Michael's version as would the
engineer.  Either way that lick is proof that a really simple line can
capture the essence of a song.

As kid in the sixties that song was one of the soundtracks of my life,
riding around in the back of my mom's Chevy station wagon in Plainfield,
New Jersey I remember loving the sound of the harmonica coming out of
the AM radio.  That was music made to last!

See you around Rob,

Trip Henderson