[Harp-L] Dorian Minor is NOT missing notes

I must have been in non-thinking mode when I agreed with Mike Peloquin to the effect that the Dorian minor tuning is missing a note in the bottom octave -- namely, the major 3rd in 2nd position (B on a C harp) that is replaced in the dorian minor tuning by a minor third (Bb on a C harp).

The fact is that the "missing" note can be played with an overblow on the blow 3 reed.   In the second octave, the same note can be played with a 1/2 step bend down on the blow 7 reed.

In short, the Dorian minor tuning is as fully chromatic as a standard diatonic tuning -- with bends and overblows, all 12 notes of the chromatic scale are available throughout the first two octaves.

I trust that we will now all run out and replace our standard diatonics with Dorian minors at the first opportunity.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com