Re: [Harp-L] Lovesick Blues for harp---Help Needed

On Aug 21, 2005, at 1:29 PM, stiv whiskywine wrote:

Hello everybody,
Im baisically a blues player who has recently fell into some gigs with a country and bluesgrass band. I can usually play what i need to make the songs sound good, (im learning to avoid that 5 draw and 2suck full bend, and am having lots of fun learning. But Im having a bit of trouble playing Lovesick Blues. Can aybody point me to a recording of this song with harp in it so i can maybe learn some ideas?

(also can anybody hip me to some good records with lots of country harp?)

Thanks

Steve Campos

Charlie McCoy plays it on his 'Harpin the Blues' album. I have it on vinly. ALL McCoy's stuff is good and it's ALL country (even the stuff that isn't usually considered as such). It IS possible to get his style as there are no tricks, just lots of control. This is heartening for a player who is coming into this type music from another. It's not like you have to sit there and say 'Jesus, I'll NEVER get this stuff'. You WILL get it. The first 3 bars of Lovesick Blues are basically one slur anyway.
As far as other players, I wouldn't give a recomendation because everyone's tastes are different and I (personally) don't think there are too many country western players out there. For bluegrass I WOULD recommend Mike Stevens.

As for the #5 draw, do what I do. Take the harp for the key you find most useful and tune the 5th reed UP. As for the full bend #2 draw, it's useful when it's useful, so don't count it out. When doing 'Grade-A' you will find the note is there. It isn't used often but does fit occasionally. I just don't remember what tunes right now.
smo-joe