Re: [Harp-L] Lovesick Blues

<< Rob's suggestions are dead on and I might add three of my other
favorites to those already mentioned by list members. Harp-l's P.T.
Gazell's "Pace Yourself" recording, also The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's
first "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" recording featuring their drummer
Jimmy Fadden on harp. The later featured a "who's who" of American
"hillbilly" acoustic music with great songs throughout and wonderful
interplay between Vassar Clements' fiddle (R.I.P.) and the harp. No list
of country harp would be complete without Wayne Rainey who's work as a
band leader and with The Delmore Brothers is fantastic! Lastly there is
an awesome collection called "Black & White Hillbilly Music" Early
Harmonica Recordings that offers tunes and songs from Dr. Humphrey Bate,
The Crook Brothers, Deford Bailey, The Pickard Family, Karl & Harty, The
Woodie Brothers, Nelstone's Hawaiians, Riverside Ramblers, Louisiana
Rounders, Joe Werner & The Ramblers, Lonnie Glosson and  Dave McCarn.

You might also want to check out Emmett Miller's original recording of
Lovesick Blues. This was Hank Williams source for the song and though it
features coronet, the vocal lines are inspired. My personal preference
for adapting music for the mouth harp is to go back to the earliest
source available...these songs all get watered down over the years even
when adapted by the best players.  The melodies are simple and easily
picked out by ear.

Enjoy!

Trip Henderson>>

I'm no expert on country harmonica (mostly because I never managed to find the least interest in country music) However, there's one guy in the genre who blows my mind and that's Jimmy Riddle. Both on chromatic and diatonic, he's amazing, fast, precise, inventive. Heck, I even enjoying listening to the one record of his I have...

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com