Re: [Harp-L] Off-topic: Perfect Pitch

I'm just making this up as I go along, but it seems to me that pitch memory would be more common than perfect pitch. If the person in question can do this after one or two hearings I'd be very impressed. A lot of singers can sing songs they're familiar with in the key they're used to even if they don't realize they can. Ask them to start singing and see what key they're singing in. It's like learning to judge temperature by color--this shade of red is 1250 F etc. Practice does it.

In spite of the ads I see in the back of "Guitar Player" I'm not sure you can learn perfect pitch. I could be wrong. Anybody out there who can recognize middle C who once couldn't?