From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of samblancato
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:22 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] David Barrett's Harmonica Scales Books

Hi Folks,

Bill Hines had mentioned the two scales books by David Barrette and I
wanted to make some comment on this.  I have the second book and it has
just about every scale there is in it but it's pretty useless except as
a reference.  I think the world of Barrett's material but he makes the
same mistake everybody else seems to make when they approach this thing.
Everyone presents all the scales relevant to their discussion but nobody
seems to understand that know a scale in and of its self is worthless
unless it's within a context of a song or chord progression.  You might
be able to recognize a scale and distinguish it from another but without
a context it's meaningless.  How does a Dorian scale work melodically
over a major progression?  How does it compare, given the same
progression, with a mixalydian scale?  Barrette only touches on this at
the very end, and I mean the very end of the book.  In this instance he
plays a really neat figure over a progression and gives you the
teenyweenist taste of what can be done once you understand a scale in
context.  It is really frustrating.  Barrette is taking on an issue and
then he doesn't really take it on.  Presenting this kind of stuff for
harmonica players (who learn their chops by instinct
mostly) is like trying to explain something to a blind person by drawing
them a picture.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh