Re: [Harp-L] Pure Tones

On Aug 23, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Howard Parks wrote:

I attended a workshop a couple weeks back with Allan Holmes and Nicolas
Fouquet. As it was the first, we were sitting around at the start
listening to and critiquing each other's tone. I was surprised to hear a
slow, pulsing vibrato in my own "pure" tone, caused by... you guessed
it... my own heartbeat. I hadn't really noticed it before Allan pointed
it out. Last night I was reading Kim Field's book, the chapter on Tommy
Morgan, where he speaks of spending five years trying to get the
heartbeat out of his tone. My question is, has anybody talked to him
further about how he did this? Short of stopping your own heart, how do
you even begin?

Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to live with it...

Howard Parks
_

Don't have a large meal right before you play. A large meal will fill your stomach and press UP on your chest cavity causing pressure (that bloated feeling). Pressure will accentuate your heart beat.

Don't have a candy bar or excessive amount of sugar laden substance right before you play. The quick energy conversion as the sugar 'burns' will cause an increase in blood pressure, (again with the pressure)
and accentuate your heart beat.

Don't sit while playing as this squeezes your torso and makes your internal organs closer together (your stomach rides UP), causing pressure which accentuates your heart beat.

smo-joe