Re: [Harp-L] funk albums

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Frazier <fraziern@xxxxxxx>
I'm an intermediate player, mostly playing blues harp, and I'm looking to
expand into funk/r&b.  What are some good albums to listen to, to get the
feel for the style?

Larry sez:
Parliament/Funkadelic wrote the book.

Maceo Parker carries the flame. AWB also did a good job on their early albums.

MP (certified funkaholic) sez: Larry-the chronology is wrong:

James Brown (w/Maceo)
Dyke & The Blazers
Sly Stone
Tower of Power
Parliament/Funkadelic (P-Funk) (included Maceo & Fred Wesley "The Horny Horns" JB alumni) -this funk band grew from the original Doo-Wop group The Parliaments.
countless great funk bands would be said to be carrying the flame--Maceo was there when it was lit and still going strong at only 60 years old.
Maceo Parker solo was not until the early 1990's

harp content- Sly Stone played a little harp on his albums -his 4-5 draw shake was masterful!

Funkinup-
Michael Peloquin
come to Jam Camp in San Diego, Oct 14-16, 2005
tell them Michael sent you
http://www.gindick.com
http://www.harpsax.com