Re: [Harp-L] David Barrett's Harmonica Scales

On Steve Kaufman's DVD "Figuring Out the Fingerboard, A Flatpicker's Guide To Improvising", with a sly grin is says, "Are you going to say, Let's Jam and start playing scales?" He suggests fiddle tunes (at least 50 of them) to learn your CAGED scales. Not only do you use the notes of the scales in a musical context, you learn bluegrass licks in the process. More fun than scales, I'm working on that some with my C chrom in the same keys, C, G, D, A, and E.

Another alternative is provided by Bobby Joe Holman in his "Hal Leonard Complete Chromatic Harmonica Method" He has little tunes in every Western mode played with jam tracks in the keys of C, G, and D. They have names like "G Mixolydian Song""D Major Pentatonic Scale Song", C Minor Pentatonic Blues Scale Song", etc. Catchy little tunes that work you out in all the modes in three keys.

Anyway, for what it's worth, some ideas on having a bit more fun than playing scales to learn the notes in the scales.

Peace and music,
Dave